Sunday 12 May 2013

Barnaby discovers the delights of asparagus

Barnaby Discovers the Delights of Home Grown Asparagus

The lovely Jill who works in the farm hut during the summer months and farmer Charlie Gee.
Barnaby says:  " Helen loves asparagus, she got really excited when Farmer Charlie Gee from Medley Manor Farm, Binsey Lane, Oxford, phoned her last week to say that finally the asparagus was  ready to harvest. Apparently this year has proved really difficult. There wasn't a much available earlier but it's growing quite well now.

 Many crops, particularly asparagus, are really late this year.  The asparagus season which is always sorter than most, will be even shorter this year. So, it's a matter of eating it while it's available.
Helen is convinced that the asparagus grown on this farm is the best  Oxfordshire can offer, she is also convinced that the asparagus grown in Oxfordshire rates as the best in the country.

So anyway, one way and another this is her favourite place during the summer, and I believe it is somewhere that she will be taking me often. Medley Manor Farm has a peaceful tranquil air, is full of birdsong and bursting with soft fruits and vegetables during the summer months.

This suits me well as the farm is down Binsey Lane, close to the Perch Inn and the River Thames, which means that every time we visit the farm a good day out is assured, including a bowl of tea at the Perch before we go home.

This is a picture of me Barnaby the Puppy, inspecting the  bundles of asparagus that Charlie and his helpers have picked.  I admit to tasting a spear that he had thrown out because it was misshaped - to my surprise I found it particularly tasty.  Charlie was delighted when he noticed I was enjoying it and so gave me permission to trot along the line and eat any misshapen spears that had been cut and then discarded.

 I wonder if I will enjoy the strawberries too?

The farm is open three days a week until the strawberries are ready, then it is open all day, everyday. It closes in the autumn once the sweetcorn has been harvested. For further information you can phone Charlie on 01865 241251".

No comments:

Post a Comment