Tuesday 12 February 2013

Barnaby's sticky up ears

Helen says:
I have owned some very handsome Border collies over the years, but none of them have had sticky-up-ears, and how I have  longed for a dog with sticky-up-ears.
When uncle John drove me to Old Sodbury to pick up Barnaby I found myself keeping my fingers crossed.  I had asked his breeder many questions, but forgot to ask about his ears.
When she handed me this little fluff-ball with his bright blue eye his ears were folded in firm against his head. Indeed there was nothing special about them at all, however the affectionate look in his eyes, the depth of his feather-soft fur and that lovely milky smell that comes with a 8 week old puppy seduced me.  Who cares about ears?  Cuddling the quivering little bundle I made my way to the car and home.

Both ears working now
It was two days later that something twitched in the ear department and the left hand ear suddenly shot straight up into the air.  Three days later that one fell flat again, but the other one went up - and so it went on, both ears struggling to come to terms with their place on the top of his head.  Finally, just before Christmas, it happened. BOTH ears stood high and proud.  I accept that they kept changing their mind and for the entire length of January one would stand up and the other would lie flat....BUT now BOTH ears stand firm - it is a wondrous sight. What an amazing dog this little fellow is going to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment