Monday 25 February 2013

Walkies through Pinsley wood

Walkies through Pinsley Wood:

Barnaby says - "Ever since I came to live with Helen she promised that one day (when the weather had settled) we would walk through an ancient wood, one with gnarled trees and twisted pathways that thread their way through the trees where gnomes and goblins lived (perhaps).  I have no idea what gnomes and goblins are, but Helen seems to think they are an exciting extra that one occasionally encounters when walking through an  old woods. Anyway we didn't  see any when we went to Pinsley Wood this week.
All we saw were muddy paths, pools of water and more water.  You find this wood by walking the green lane besides the Hand and Shears pub, at Church Handborough, which stands opposite the parish church. Church Handborough is about 6 miles west of Oxford and a charming little village.
Helen loves this pub because they serve a delicious fish and chips and the choice of beers is good too.
Barnaby & Auntie Liz visiting the pub.
Water, water everywhere
Helen's fish and chips
Barnaby before he got muddy.
On deciding to visit the pub this week and then walk the wood Helen and Auntie Liz didn't take the weather conditions into account. The pathway however was so saturated with rain that had fallen during the past week or two that walking was like dancing on soft slippery chocolate.  The further we all walked the more mud covered our boots and paws.  It was not the happy experience I had expected and my lovely Australian waxed jacket got covered with mud. Helen had to dry it over the radiator when we got  home.
You may notice that I am now growing so fast that this lovely jacket is no longer the comfy fit it once was.  It is nice and warm though (Sheep skin!!!) so I will go on wearing it until the weather turns.
When we lunched at the pub, the barmaid made me a really nice cup of tea to warm me up and Helen gave me a chew bone to keep me happy while she and Auntie Liz ate their fish and chips. Despite the mud, it was indeed a rather nice day - though I didn't see any goblins. What is a goblin?"

No comments:

Post a Comment